Friday, March 7, 2008

Миллион Алых Роз

Like many of you, I have had the privilege of getting fairly deeply immersed in a couple of different cultures, language and all, and I am always on the lookout for comic elements within those cultures. This is why this article about an Iranian court ordering a man to pay his wife the dowry promised to her in the marriage contract is highly amusing to me. You see, the dowry he promised her, consisted, of all things, of no less than 124,000 roses. That's given that he is no rose gardener. Romantic though it may have seemed at the time, I still wonder what in the world he was thinking. Sadly, turned out the guy was a little cheap, and his wife came up with a creative way to get back at him - by filing a complaint with the court requiring him to pay her the agreed reward for marrying him in the first place. Now our fellow may be facing jail term for his inability to come up with the funds for the purchase.

No comments: